What is Talk Boost KS2?
Talk Boost KS1 is a targeted intervention for 4-7 year old children with language that is delayed, including children in Reception classes. The programme is delivered in primary schools by classroom teachers and teaching assistants and provides a structured programme that boosts children’s progress in language and communication by an average of 9 – 18 months after a ten week intervention.
Who is it for?
The training is suitable for year three, year four and year five teachers and teaching assistants who should attend the training in teacher and LSA pairs. Participants will develop the skills and knowledge to understand the rationale behind Talk Boost KS2, by developing their awareness of speech, language and communication and typical language development in KS2. It will help participants to understand how to identify appropriate children, measure their progress and use the resources.
How will children improve their language and communication skills?
Children who are selected to take part in the intervention will attend three sessions per week in small groups, each lasting 30-40 minutes delivered by the teaching assistant. The sessions include activities that follow the areas of language and communication: listen carefully, learning new words, telling stories, working with others and making friends and having conversations. In addition, the teacher will run a weekly whole-class activity and there are activities that can be practiced at home.
What are the benefits of Talk Boost KS2:
- Supports children who are not achieving their expected levels of progress in their language development
- Can be used to demonstrate to Ofsted how you are focusing on developing staff skills
- Help to build relationships with parents, by reinforcing the language skills the child learned during the group sessions
- Demonstrates the effective use of your Pupil Premium allocation
- An all-in-one speech and language solution package
- Can be used by non-speech and language specialists
- Proven to improve children’s language and communication through our evidence base
- Designed to be sustainable so you can deliver the intervention multiple times to new groups of children
- A dedicated team at I CAN to support you to maximise the impact of Talk Boost KS2 in your school
- Identify, monitor and track children’s progress before and following the intervention with the online tracker
What does Talk Boost KS1 include?
Once you have booked onto the training course, you will receive information to order the KS2 bundle which includes:
- An Intervention Manual containing detailed group session plans and resources required
- A Teacher Manual that guides teachers in selecting the right children, tracking their progress and managing the overall operation of the groups
- A Organiser Box which contains pre-cut session cards that are designed to make your Talk Boost KS2 sessions even more convenient
- 12 Communication Detective Notebooks to reinforce what has been taught in the group sessions
- Access to our Online Tracker Tool to measure and analyse progress which supports Pupil Premium
Laura Black: Speech and Language Therapist. She is ICAN licensed facilitator.
Laura is practising Speech and Language Therapist in outstanding school.
The cost of the Talk Boost KS1 Intervention Pack is £500.00 per training pair + £135 per participant. Participants should attend in teacher and LSA pairs.